The Journey of the Garnet


In September last year I went through to Edinburgh to the Ethical Gemstone Fair to look for some new and interesting gemstones to use in my work. I am keen to start working with ethically sourced gemstones that are traceable from the mine. 

I met Stuart from Nineteen48 Gemstones who introduced me to Moyo Gems an ethically sourced gemstone company who work with an all Female mine in Tanzania. I loved their story and more so this Square cut 1.40ct Tanzanian Garnet. 


Moyo Gemstones is an ethical gemstone collaboration born in Tanzania. They are working with female artisanal gem miners of the Umba Valley to assure rubies, sapphires, tourmalines, and garnets from mine to market. 

They work to empower women miners to work safely, mine better, improve financial security, and create stable, equitable markets for fair trade. 

What's behind a name? 
Moyo nzuri means 'beautiful spirit' or 'blessed heart' in Swahili. In Shona, it means 'heart'. Moyo Gemstones represents a new kind of beauty. They are gems from the heart. 


This is Mama Peter a Garnet Miner in Tanga Tanzania 


Moyo gems make frequent trips out to Tanzania to meet the workers and can then show us images of the workers. 

I now had this beautiful garnet back in the studio ready to be made into a piece of jewellery. I decided to take a video and some photos of this beautiful stone and share it on my social media.

Very quickly this Garnet was snapped up by a Customer of mine, we discussed designs and decided to make a gold necklace with this stunning garnet. 


We decided to make a wishbone gold pendant with a chunky chain and have the garnet as the main event! We used recycled 9ct yellow gold to make the necklace. 



This is the finished piece and I am so happy that this stunning Garnet has finished it Journey and can now be shown off and worn and enjoyed for years to come! 


I am looking forward to working with more ethically sourced gemstones and being part of their journey, making pieces of jewellery for clients that are truly special and making a difference to the world. 

If you would like to commission a piece of look at sourcing a gemstone please get in touch - info@scarletterskine.com 

I have some more stunning gemstones to show you and some pieces being made with ethically sourced gemstones that I can't wait to share with you!

Comments

Popular Posts